History of Lutheran High
Lutheran High has been serving the greater Honolulu community for over 25 years. Foremost during the school's existence has been a dedication to provide a quality, Christ-centered education for the children of Hawaii.
Lutheran High's story begins in 1942 when a group of civilians and servicemen with the help of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod opened a small mission Service Center on Lunalilo Street in Honolulu. A few years later the mission group established Our Redeemer Lutheran Church and moved to a small building on Young Street owned by Kawaiaha'o Church.
In 1947, Our Redeemer Lutheran School was started in the basement of the building on Young Street. That first year the school consisted of Kindergarten and first grade.
Eager to provide a permanent home for the church and to meet the needs of a growing elementary school enrollment, the church purchased property on University Avenue in 1949 and constructed the present chapel, offices, and three classrooms. By 1950, the school had an enrollment of twenty-nine students in Kindergarten and grades one through three. Two more classrooms were added in 1952.
By 1959, Our Redeemer Lutheran Church became a self-supporting congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. In this capacity, Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, no longer receiving mission support, became the sole provider for the school.
The desire to have a complete Elementary school for Kindergarten through grade eight was realized in 1965 when a large addition was made to the University Avenue property. The new building, immediately behind the existing structures, added seven classrooms, a library, auditorium, teachers' workroom and kitchen.
Four short years later a high school expansion program was planned. Accordingly, during 1970-1974, grades nine through twelve were added with the first senior class of fifteen students graduating in 1975. With the joy of the new High School there were also growing pains. During 1974-1982, space limitations on the University Avenue campus necessitated that the Elementary School be operated from three different locations stretching from Palolo Valley to Nu'uanu Valley.
Finally, in 1977, a second parcel of land on Wilder Avenue around the corner from the University Avenue property was purchased. By 1983, a modern three-story, fourteen-room structure had been completed. This facility now houses Kindergarten through eighth grade. Concurrently with the completion of the elementary building, improvements were made to the High School on University Avenue. These included library, classroom and office improvements and the addition of a computer center, teachers' lounge, and counseling office.
During the 1988 school year, a portable building was acquired to serve as an additional classroom.
On July 1, 1988, Our Redeemer Church relinquished its sole control of the high school in order to share ownership with four other Lutheran churches - St. Mark, Messiah, Our Savior, and Trinity - thus creating an "association" high school. Good Shepherd Church joined the association in 2004.